[MUD-Dev] Quake II has gone GPL

Vincent Archer archer at frmug.org
Thu Mar 21 11:24:13 CET 2002

According to shren:

> What seems to happen in most games I've played extensively is that
> either no collision detection is done, and A can run through B.

> Or that both the server and the client do collision detection, the
> server to determine exact position and the client for cosmetic
> reasons.  The client tries to make best guess decisions about
> where you can go, and show you going there, but if it ever makes
> an error the server overrides and snaps you to the correct place.

Or, in Everquest's case, both clients do collision detection, which
the server doesn't validate, and, depending on the lag, B may either
block or not block A.

This looks stupid, from a theoretical point of view, but it usually
works (i.e. A and B get to see a "correct" situation, in which
either A passes before B manage to get to the door, or A is blocked
by B).  This only fails if lag is major and the situation borderline
(they rush to the door at the same time).

	Vincent Archer			Email:	archer at frmug.org

All men are mortal.  Socrates was mortal.  Therefore, all men are Socrates.
							(Woody Allen)