[MUD-Dev] Re: Blacksnow revisited

Hans-Henrik Staerfeldt hhs at cbs.dtu.dk
Thu Mar 21 13:41:34 CET 2002

On Wed, 20 Mar 2002, John Robert Arras wrote:
> Daniel.Harman at barclayscapital.com wrote:

>> We have a small team of employees who are responsible for finding
>> exploits, reporting the exploit to the dev team, and then banning
>> the players who are using them.

> I am speaking from a personal perspective and doing this might get
> you into more trouble, but...

> If I were running things, I would give them a dump of their
> playerfiles and let them know that they now have everything that
> they "own".

I don't remember if i came with this suggestion before. Perhaps it
would pay off by preventing any future legal fees if not banning the
persons but let them experience 'a sudden shift in reality that
warps your body into an alternate universe' and ...wupti... all the
offenders can have 'fun' on a seperate server, from where their
character cannot return. In short, as you will ensure that you
always serve the people, and they cant really complain, the game is
the same, after all to include an 'alternate reality' is really just
a game design issue. People who work the game to sell items will
have ther harvesting characters practically immobilized, although
they can still play them, and even try and sell the items, and the
general users will be protected, as the availability of items on the
'non-commercial' servers will be low.

In short isolating the unwanted elements in the gameplay without
denying them the game. Sure, some people will be pissed off, but not
more so than if they were banned.

However, it still requires a set of monitoring staff. Perhaps
someone should patent the solution ... oops too late, its already
been published! :-)

Hans Henrik Stærfeldt   |    bombman at diku.dk    | work:  hhs at cbs.dtu.dk      |
Address:                |___  +45 40383492    __|__       +45 45252471     __|
DTU, Kemitorvet,        | Scientific programmer at Center for Biological     |
bygn 208, CBS.          |  Sequence Analysis, Technical University of Denmark|