[MUD-Dev] User-created content ownership

Zach Collins {Siege} zcollins at seidata.com
Fri Mar 29 01:47:37 CET 2002

On 27 Mar 2002, Edward Glowacki wrote:

> After reading an article on GameSpy today

>   http://www.gamespy.com/gdc2002/mmog/

> I was inspired to think about content ownership in a game where
> users can create their own content.  I think the key is for
> whoever is running the game to not be greedy, and define up-front
> what the user's rights are.  Here's the whole thing in detail, and
> feedback is appreciated:

I like your proposal.  This has been addressed many times on the
MUCKs I play on, though not as a payment contract.  An archiving
program is included in the base FB tarball, after all, and @toad not
only recycles a character, but changes ownership of all their
objects to the toading wizard.  With these base conditions in mind,
most of the policies I've seen state something close to this:

You own what you've made.  We suggest you archive it regularly.  If
your stuff is for public use, or is vital to the structure of our
system/game, we get to keep a temporary copy around, even if you
recycle it.  It'll be removed and replaced, but we don't want stuff
breaking in the meantime.

--
Siege