[MUD-Dev] Alternatives to Permadeath

Jason Booth zombie.shakespeare at verizon.net
Fri Mar 29 11:14:46 CET 2002

On March 27, Jon Leonard wrote:

> It seems to me that it'd be possible to have other ways of
> limiting high advancement to players of greater skill.  The first
> method that came to mind was having a scheme with exponentially
> decaying unspent experince.

I have actually considered a similar method of controlling character
advancement; however, such a system only gives you control over how
fast the most dedicated player can advance in power in your game; it
does not control how many players advance.  Again, persistence is
still the prime requisite for game advancement, you've only provided
yourself a way to throttle the rate of that advancement.  While I
haven't been able to find the statement from Dr. Bartles you
reference, I will tentatively agree with it here.  If you are
equating "high level" with "hero" or "villain" status, then I
believe some system of permanent death is necessary to keep the
integritity and uniqueness of those terms.