[MUD-Dev] Re: Black Snow Revisited

Derek Licciardi kressilac at insightBB.com
Fri Mar 29 17:52:51 CET 2002

Norman Short wrote:

> I just came across this thread, since I've been too busy to read
> everything the list has been sending lately. But frankly I'm
> amazed.  I think you game company people have your head in the
> clouds ignoring reality.  For some reason you guys think you can
> put anything you want into a EULA and it automatically gives you
> those rights.  If the law in fact doesn't give you those rights
> it's just meaningless words.

> You've also put yourselves as game company employees on the same
> level as the justice system.  You want to measure intent?  That is
> a job for the courts, and I suppose you could make a separate
> court case on every single transaction so you could try to
> discover intent of the parties on each and every sale.  Good luck.

<EdNote: Quote trimmed>

GASP! WOW!

Norman, please do yourself a favor and look at how much these
services cost to bring them to the masses we are trying to "stunt".
Think about how your view on this topic might change if you were the
one forking over the 5 - 15,000,000 $US it takes to get these off
the ground.  Think about how you would feel if everyone took your
Star Wars idea and used it to make profit without your consent.
What if in doing so they trashed your franchise in the eyes of
consumers?  If Blacksnow is allowed to succeed, there isn't an
investor on the planet that will fund an MMORPG in the foreseeable
future.  A genre of gaming will die for many years and suffer a HUGE
setback.  I would reconsider your position if I were you because you
could find yourself with no game to play if we truly are full of
ourselves.

Make no doubt about it, with the level of investment in these games,
it is all about the money and anything that threatens that money
adds risk to an already high-risk venture.  Blacksnow wins, MMORPGS
die as a genre for a pretty long while.  The problem here is that
the law hasn't told us developers what is right and wrong and that
is scary as hell.

Derek Licciardi
Elysian Productions Inc.