[MUD-Dev] Future of MMOGs

Shane P. Lee tacodog21 at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 1 15:21:34 CEST 2002

--- Valerio Santinelli <tanis at mediacom.it> wrote:

>   Gradually we're starting to see the return of things like
>   player-housing, but truly player-generated content isn't
>   available even now, three years later!

Well, I'm gonna make a fool of myself and unlurk once again, this
time to ask what seems to be a newbie question. I see this term
"player-generated content" quite a lot Apparently it doesn't mean
what I thought it did when I first saw it. In my mind, PGC would be
anything the player does that has a lasting effect on the game
world. Perhaps building a house, or chopping down trees, something
that other players notice and saves over reboots (or whatever). That
stuff isn't very hard to add to text MUDs, and I can't see why it
would be such a big deal to add it to a MMORPG.  Am I missing the
point here? If so, please tell me what all the fuss is about,
namely: What IS PGC?

-Shane P. Lee