[MUD-Dev] Re: Future of MMOGs

Dr. Cat cat at realtime.net
Wed Oct 2 05:59:33 CEST 2002

From: "Valerio Santinelli" <tanis at mediacom.it>

>   Item 5: Massively Multiplayer Gaming "[Massive multiplayer
>   games] aren't really interesting right now because the current
>   offerings (Ultima Online, EverQuest) are closed proprietary
>   systems, but it's inevitable that these games will move to open,
>   modifyable, community-driven platforms." -Tim Sweeney

>   Fargo's Verdict: It's been a long time coming. When Ultima
>   Online came out it was in many ways ahead of its time, much to
>   its own detriment: the economy was an absolute mess. The next
>   wave of games, such as EverQuest, took a step back and instead
>   focused on a simpler system, one of just combat and
>   exploration. Most games that came out shortly thereafter
>   followed similar models. Gradually we're starting to see the
>   return of things like player-housing, but truly player-generated
>   content isn't available even now, three years later!

Yes, I realize it's my own fault for deliberately choosing not to
spend time and effort promoting it before now.  But I get *really*
tired of the world not realizing that Furcadia even exists.  Seen
editorials by Ernest Adams and Jessica Mulligan calling on the world
to do various things we've been doing for years, too.

By the way - I sent a post to the list last week about Massive
Online Gaming magazine coming out, but I never saw it.  Did that get
through, or was that lost somehow?  I think the magazine is of
definite interest to the folks on this list!  Anyway I got a copy at
the local Gamespot, they got them in on Monday.  The website is up
at www.mogonline.com and copie can be ordered directly from there at
a little savings, or it can be found at bookstores and game stores.