[MUD-Dev] Future of MMOGs

Jon A. Lambert jlsysinc at alltel.net
Thu Oct 3 14:36:30 CEST 2002

Shane P. Lee wrote:

> Well, I'm gonna make a fool of myself and unlurk once again, this
> time to ask what seems to be a newbie question. I see this term
> "player-generated content" quite a lot Apparently it doesn't mean
> what I thought it did when I first saw it. In my mind, PGC would
> be anything the player does that has a lasting effect on the game
> world. Perhaps building a house, or chopping down trees, something
> that other players notice and saves over reboots (or
> whatever). That stuff isn't very hard to add to text MUDs, and I
> can't see why it would be such a big deal to add it to a MMORPG.
> Am I missing the point here? If so, please tell me what all the
> fuss is about, namely: What IS PGC?

You've got it right mostly.  It's simply that MMMOPRG's
can't?/don't?/ won't? allow player generated content.  Well limited
content surely but not anything approaching what goes on in muds via
user building and user free programming.  I suspect it's mostly a
trust issue which is exacerbated by many MMPROG's being highly
competitive tribal games instead of adult communities.  The Sims
series probably has the most potential in this area.  I don't expect
to see any technical or practical information although one would
certainly be conditioned to expect a series of articles on its
psychological, sociological, artistic, business and legal impact.

--
--* Jon A. Lambert - TychoMUD        Email:jlsysinc at alltel.net    *--
--* Mud Server Developer's Page <http://www.alltel.net/~jlsysinc> *--