[MUD-Dev] Future of MMOGs

Crosbie Fitch crosbie at cyberspaceengineers.org
Sat Oct 5 12:37:07 CEST 2002

From: Valerio Santinelli

From: Eric Lee (GAMES)

> And that brings up the final point - commercial MMORPGs
> traditionally have a responsibility to maintain a reasonable level
> of quality across all of their content.  There's just no way they
> can allow everyone to create random garbage and drop in into the
> game, for a variety of business, marketing, and probably legal
> reasons.  Some text MUDs have a content review system in place
> where major new content must be approved by the admins before
> being opened to the public.  Of course, those MUDs also have the
> luxury of having a relatively low player-to-admin ratio.  There's
> just no way a commercial MMORPG can keep up with thousands upon
> thousands of people.

THEREFORE

The answer is to have a non-commercial MMOG.

A peer-to-peer based system where players provide the infrastructure
and resources, and can provide content too.

Given there is probably a market for quality content, there's
nothing to stop people selling quality content to the players of
such a public MMOG.

However, as we see with the Web, it's difficult to sell quality
content (cf Salon et al) when there's so much quality content
provided for free already.

Just as with the web, users avoid the crap sites, and frequent the
good ones. It's all interest driven. Why not have a public MMOG
comprised of PGC, given that players can hang out where they fancy?
It'll be just like flowers and bees. The flowers bend over backwards
to attract the bees so that they obtain publicity/promiscuity. The
bees have fun flitting from flower to flower and get free food all
the way.