[MUD-Dev] Future of MMOGs

Brack Brack
Sun Oct 6 16:15:00 CEST 2002

From: Eric Lee (GAMES)

> And that brings up the final point - commercial MMORPGs
> traditionally have a responsibility to maintain a reasonable level
> of quality across all of their content.  There's just no way they
> can allow everyone to create random garbage and drop in into the
> game, for a variety of business, marketing, and probably legal
> reasons.

I would certainly hope there are ways around that.

From: Crosbie Fitch

> THEREFORE

> The answer is to have a non-commercial MMOG.

That is certainly *an* answer.

I would argue that the people who can figure out the answers to the
difficult questions pointed out above wins, both commercially and
artistically.  What they win is a revolution.  Think about where the
1st person shooter would be without player generated content.
Because of Doom, nowadays a part of the success of a shooter is
determined by how easy it is for users to cram their content into
your game.  I recently bought a copy of Quake exclusively so I could
install a mod of Archon, an old school Atari game.  I'm hoping it
won't be long until we can give users some level of control along
the same lines in a graphic MMO.

JAB