[MUD-Dev] [decentralization] Re: Reputation device (fwd)

shren shren at io.com
Thu Oct 10 13:23:46 CEST 2002

On Tue, 10 Sep 2002, Crosbie Fitch wrote:
> From: J C Lawrence

>> He finds that complete identity is the highest quality of
>> exchange, but this is obviously only possible in a closed
>> community and not something I believe is feasible or desireable
>> on the Net.

> Being able to map a virtual identity to a real world identity is
> not necessary if a player highly values their virtual identity and
> its reputation.

This recalls an odd anticdote that quite suprised me when I heard
it.  A UO anti-pk was trying to infiltrate pk guilds on a shard.  He
told me that he gave up after a while because apparently when you
get to the most powerful guilds, they tend to always have the real
world goods on each other - real names, phone numbers, addresses,
ages, and credit card numbers, if you can believe that.  They
apparently hold no stock whatsoever in 'virtual reputations'.

I was involved with such things at the time, and I couldn't help but
wonder...  a) would a group of anti-pks have been willing to work
together to create a false identity if I suggested the possibility,
and b) would such a thing have been legal had they done it?