[MUD-Dev] RE: Understanding Simulation

Peter Harkins ph at malaprop.org
Fri Oct 11 17:58:34 CEST 2002

On Thu, Oct 10, 2002 at 02:42:03PM -0500, shren wrote:

> In my ecology simulation thought experiments, a creature becomes
> tougher as it becomes more rare.  Extinction becomes extremely
> unlikely, however, a creature can easily be nudged into limited
> terrain.  Then again, however, I strive for dynamic ecology
> instead of realistic ecology.

What this sounds like to me is that the more of a species a player
kills, the more difficult and fun it is to kill the rest. They have
to attack smarter, hit harder, search better. Then your system will
eventually reach a point where the they can't fight well enough to
kill a creature because the game is cheating (as they'll see it)
against them so much and get extremely frustrated with what they
suddenly perceive as an unfair system.

I think having a dynamic ecology rather than realistic is a good
idea, but this particular idea lets the players control a feedback
loop.