[MUD-Dev] 3rd Axis for Bartle's 2 axis theory of MUD players

Casbaria casbaria at pacbell.net
Fri Oct 18 07:33:36 CEST 2002

On October 17, 2002, Richard wrote:

> You're attempting to use the degree of immersion that a player
> experiences as an extra dimension. Less immersed players, you're
> calling 'numbers' and more immersed ones you're calling 'faces'.

> It's good that you've recognised this, but things are a lot more
> complex. Immersion is more a facet of player development than
> their style of play.

You can have someone be completely into a game at all levels even
while resisting the roleplay aspect that the game is bringing
across.  There are 'numbers' people who know so much in the way of
statistics that they could be advisors to the developers.

Whether or not a person falls into the story or has 'immersion' is
not player development so much as a playing style or personality
trait.  Although there can be movement between personality traits,
there doesn't have to be a migration to immersion as you suggest.

I think the 3rd Axis is a necessary component and can explain quite
a bit about the dynamics of your populace.

Adam