What is the world? (was: Re: [MUD-Dev] Weaknesses in the HCDS player type model)

Zach Collins {Siege} zcollins at seidata.com
Wed Oct 23 06:32:46 CEST 2002

On 22 Oct 2002, Ola Fosheim Gr=F8stad wrote:
> "Zach Collins (Siege)" <zcollins at seidata.com> writes:

>> To summarise: A fully complete game world provides not only rules
>> and data, but its own context in all of its environments, so that
>> new players can immerse themselves in the 'foreign' culture of
>> the game as quickly and easily as possible.  These rules,
>> dataset, and context are to be considered the game world, and it
>> includes the actions, information, and context of the players
>> already in the game as well as the information and context that
>> new players bring with them as they begin to play.

> You are saying that Richard is wrong? :) Good! I am not only
> vocal, but also influential. ;)

No, I doubt it was your influence that led me to this conclusion.
Also, you cut out the part where I note that the definition he gave
is correct but incomplete.  I don't see myself as disagreeing, I
simply take the concept further.

[snip description of a world with context]

> Ok, so this is one aspect of the experienced world, I might view a
> certain set of agents as NPCs because I have no interest in
> affiliating myself with their controlling humans (players). Thus
> the players belong to the world dimension.

> Another aspect is that the users of this world has to follow the
> rules or else they will be thrown out. Whether the rules are
> enforced by a computer program or a human moderator shouldn't
> really matter? Or should it?

It does matter.  There should be a moderator, indoctrinated in the
context of the world, but there should also be computer code or data
that supports this moderation, and guides it in the context of the
world.  You need balance between them.

Take, for example, Final Fantasy XI.  The GMs there are given
setting-specific avatars, with setting-specific powers as well as
moderator-specific powers, reinforcing the context of the game to
those already familiar with the series, and introducing that context
to those unfamiliar (rare as they may be).  They enforce certain
actions and qualities based on the location, preferred language, and
roleplaying orientation of the server they moderate within; this
also reinforces the context of the game to those who break it.
Thus, FF11's moderators increase the fiction in favor of an
atmospheric setting that resembles the FF games and draws players in
toward immersion.

Meanwhile, look at EverQuest.  GMs are more like information and
security booths in this game, dispensing their services without a
mythos to guide them.  Everything is done in the interests of the
owning company while opposing the interest of supporting the fiction
of the game.  Thus, EQ's moderators reduce the fiction of the game
in favor of a 'corporate ladder' style of player, who learns that
whomever climbs the most rungs without getting kicked off must be
the better player.

--
Zach Collins