[MUD-Dev] 3rd Axis for Bartle's 2 axis theory of MUD players

Richard A. Bartle richard at mud.co.uk
Wed Oct 23 09:08:40 CEST 2002

On 22nd October, 2002, Ola Fosheim Grxstad wrote:

> Both you and Richard (Bartle) say this, but I have so far seen no
> arguments in favour of it except for the idea that it is possible to
> daydream in the virtual world. Something I am not all that
> convinced of (besides, daydreaming seems to be rather flow like in
> nature).

It's the fact that daydreaming is like flow that means immersion
isn't like flow. Flow, as I understand it, is final state - you
can't be in a state of flow and from there experience yet a further
level of flow. I may be wrong, and there could be some multi-level
or multi-layered facets to it, in which case you could daydream
while experiencing (other) flow.

I think that you and I mean different things when we talk about
immersion. We can argue as much as we like, but we're attaching the
label to different concepts then we're never going to be reconciled
on the subject.

In England, to table a motion means to present it for debate; in
America, it means to withdraw it from debate. This causes confusion
until both parties realise they're using the same word with
different meanings. I believe your understanding of what "immersion"
labels is simply different to what I (and Dave Rickey) believe it to
mean, so no matter what we say on the subject it's going to look
wrong to you (and vice versa).

Richard