[MUD-Dev] Morphable worlds, Reset based systems revisited

Ted L. Chen tedlchen at yahoo.com
Thu Oct 24 19:08:34 CEST 2002

Ola Fosheim Grxstad wrote:

> It is quite apparent to me that a commercial MUD is most
> interesting at the time of launch where you have lots and lots of
> players at your own level to interact with. Arriving in or coming
> back to an established game is kind of lonely and discouraging,
> there is no level playfield, and everything has been discovered by
> somebody else...

> Why not design a flexible world that allows designers to rearrange
> the entire world, gameplay rules included? Then you can massively
> improve the world and relaunch every six months...

> Yes, there are some obvious gamplay and balancing issues. Still,
> in static world designs, a reset-like world-morphing relaunch
> approach has certain advantages.

A lot of people in the world don't like change.  Whether those
people are the types that play MUDs, I'm not entirely sure of.  But
judging by MOG forums where people gripe about the latest nerf or
new feature, I'd say we still got a good sizable representation of
that world populace.

So, having the system arbitrarily reset and rearrange itself without
any overall change in content just compounds the problem.  The only
people who ever like such systems are the poor peasants in the
fields with nothing to lose.  But even them, after a short while,
become disgruntled and entrenched in their new positions.

TLC