[MUD-Dev] Morphable worlds, Reset based systems revisited

Arnau Rosselló Castelló <arocas@alumni.uv Arnau Rosselló Castelló <arocas@alumni.uv
Mon Oct 28 17:05:25 CET 2002

Ola Fosheim Grøstad wrote:
> John Robert Arras <johna at wam.umd.edu> writes:

>> If you had the ability to massively rearrange the world every few
>> months, then why wouldn't you have the ability to add new
>> interesting areas to the world? Or, are you saying that you
>> really want to rearrange the world to the point that a medieval
>> fantasy game becomes as futuristic world game? I think an
>> alteration like that would be too much for me.

> No, you should stay in the same genre. The idea is to cut
> development costs and recycle all the handcrafted elements,
> rearrange it and change the laws-of-nature.

Well, you could, instead of abruptly replacing the rules, and
pissing a large part of the user base, make a system where the rules
morph slowly over time, making some abilities or objects more or
less efective. In one cycle the effects of cutting blades could be
stronger, giving an edge to warriors, for maybe one month, then,
after the peak it would decline again; Players would go back to
their hammer of stunning(or whatever). One month the mage's
ligthning bolts could make 6 bolts of 4-5 damage, next month it
could be 15 bolts of damage 1. That way new tactics would emerge
when the particular state of the rules favours them, and others
would be abandoned(until they are favored again). The game would be
more dinamic, and new players would find a world that's still "new",
in the sense that everybody is learning new tactics all the time,
not aplying the tried and true formula the faster they can.  Of
course, care should be taken not to leave an entire class of players
too diminished, and without any recycling options, for too much
time.

Arnau Rosselló Castelló