[MUD-Dev] Stunning success and catastrophic failure for skills. Ideas needed!

Lars Duening lars at bearnip.com
Tue Oct 29 18:42:07 CET 2002

Britt Green wrote:

> I've come up with a list of about 60+ skills that I'd like my MUD
> to have. If the player "rolls" a natural 100 on their skill roll,
> they get a stunning success. Rolling a zero is a catastrophic
> failure. The problem I'm running into is trying to equate these
> with certain skills. For example, what's a catastrophic failure
> for candlemaking? Stunning success?

An indication that some skills simply don't need stunning failures
and/or successes?

  (Though I could imagine a catastrophic failure for candlemaking:
  when opening the form, the still-molten wax runs out, burning the
  player's hand.  In pain, the player stumbles backwards, toppling
  over the big bucket of wax perched on top of the stove. The
  resulting fire burns down the whole town and every citizen dies in
  the flames. Oh the embarassment!)

Lars Duening; lars at bearnip.com
GPG Key: http://www.bearnip.com/lars/lars-duening.gpgkey