[MUD-Dev] Morphable worlds, Reset based systems revisited

Wed Oct 30 11:50:44 CET 2002

"Ted L. Chen" <tedlchen at yahoo.com> writes:
> Ola wrote:

> They may look similar, but Quake 1, Quake 2, and Quake 3 aren't
> just rearrangments of code lines or level blocks.  Heck, if it
> were that simple, wouldn't you think they'd come out at a quicker
> pace?

Uh? The pace is determined by hardware improvements. The engine is
reused in many other games though.

>> They feared for their own ability to progress.

> Which is one reason why people don't like change.

Yes, achievers dislike the possibility of being stuck with a gimped
class. This does not apply to reset based systems.

Achievers adapt though. Some even have several character slots and
switch to whatever profession that seems to have the edge.

> And a nerf does not reconfigure the game mechanics?  Would it be
> so far-fetched to believe that current MOG players would
> conversely view a change in game-mechanics as a nerf?

Some would.

> Wouldn't the removal or change of my favoriate hunting spot change
> the way I play?  Some consider that a nerf.

You use "nerf" as a magic word.

Well current MOGs are not just games, they are rather boring slowed
down harvestingactivities/lotteries/whatever.

> New tiles in SimCity are a cosmetic change and neither helps nor
> hinders the world from becomming too big of a mess or too
> predictable.  New scenarios...  well, if you're creating "new"
> content, then that's not really merely rearranging is it.  You've
> lost one advantage of morphable worlds there.

Huh?

> And you need to clarify new dynamics - I'd hardly call changing
> the coefficients in the commercial/residential formulas in SimCity
> an 'improving' factor, let alone new content.

Bah. Figure it out for yourself.

> There's also the assumption that a relaunching world would
> increase my sociability to a level that justifies all of this.

No, there is the assumption that a relaunching world would be more
interesting to newbies, and generally new fun. Clearly, in current
MOGs people keep playing despite the game itself being boring as
hell.

--
Ola - http://folk.uio.no/olag/