[MUD-Dev] Natural Selection and Communities

Matt Mihaly the_logos at achaea.com
Mon Sep 2 19:20:08 CEST 2002

On Fri, 30 Aug 2002, John Buehler wrote:

> Direct support for structures means far more than just coding up
> constructs that say 'such and such a structure now exists'.  It
> means having all the stuff in the game that causes players to want
> to organize into those structures.  Asheron's Call is a perfect
> example of both creating a structure by supporting it with reasons
> and creating a structure which had little reason behind it.

That's not my experience, if I understand correctly what you're
saying. For instance, we instituted a generic grouping system for
players that has absolutely no supported effects on the game
world. (http://www.achaea.com/clans.htm) If they're used for
something, it's entirely because the players got creative and
decided to use these groups (we call them clans) for something, and
yet they're very popular. I just got a request the other day, in
fact, to raise the limit on the number of clans you can belong to
past 10 (the current limit).

--matt