[MUD-Dev] Natural Selection and Communities

Paul Schwanz pschwanz at comcast.net
Wed Sep 4 11:11:07 CEST 2002

Responding to my own post. :P

Paul Schwanz wrote:
> David Kennerly wrote:

>> What makes player-choice selection superior to expert-choice
>> selection to decide the design of a service subsystem?

> The same thing that makes consumer choice superior to, "You have
> your choice of color: black or black."  If I don't like the color
> black, what do I care that its been offered me by an "expert?"

Actually, it goes a bit deeper than this.  Perhaps it would be
better to consider what advantages a free market economy has over
fixed prices set by experts.  This sort of consumer-choice dynamic
more closely resembles what I'm proposing for communities in an
MMORPG.  Experts can still set boundaries, rules, etc. in a free
market, but harnessing consumer choice to drive progress, give
incentives, and push toward better "products" can be a powerful
concept.

--Phinehas