[Mud-Dev] Cans of Achievements and Quests

Rayzam rayzam at travellingbard.com
Wed Sep 4 23:34:02 CEST 2002

* Entertainment content should not be used once and consumed.

    - If I write a book, I want lots of people to read it.

    - If I make a movie, I want lots of people to see it.

    - If I script an area or quest in a mud, I want lots of people
    to play it.

    Anything else is unrealistic and unfair to the creative talent.

* Repeating is not inherently a bad thing.

    - I want people who enjoyed my book to enjoy rereading it.

    - I want people who enjoyed my movie to watch it again sometime.

    - I want people who enjoyed my quest, to be heroes again.

    With a good creative endeavor, you don't get everything the
    first time. And you often want to experience it again.

* Repeating shouldn't be forced.

    - I don't want someone to be stuck on a desert island with only
    my book to read.

    - I don't want someone tied to a chair and forced to watch my
    movie 100 times in a row, as torture and/or brainwashing.

    - I don't want players to be forced to do my quest over and over
    again.

    Repetition is bad when it's forced and/or immediate. Enjoyment
    turns to hatred or despair.

* Choice is key

    - The key is for the person to have other enjoyable things to do
    in between.

    - Let the person decide if and when to reread, rewatch, or
    replay.

rayzam
www.travellingbard.com