[MUD-Dev] Histories and Legends

Val Trullinger vtrullin at chapman.edu
Thu Sep 5 14:57:18 CEST 2002

On Monday, August 26, 2002, at 12:04  AM, Raph Koster wrote:

> I'd be very interested in hearing stories about memorials and
> similar rituals from the MOO/MUSH world--there must be much richer
> examples to be found in that genre than in the combat games.

Raph,

Sorry this is a bit tardy -- thought I'd post the various ways of
memorializing a player on The Two Towers, in order of their
creation.

The first way of memorializing an (in)famous character, was having
the admin grant them a legend, and write it for them. This resulted
in more than a little favoritism, so we changed that.

The next idea was to have the Mortal Council (the players'
self-governing political body) grant the legends. If a player died,
his/her friends would petition the Council to grant a legend; the
councilors, who represent the different communities in the game,
voted on the legend. If approved, the players thrashed out their own
version of the legend (sometimes taking months!) and the admin
liaison to the Mortal Council installed it.

Understandably, some people got frustrated with the amount of time
the Council process took, so we created a means for the players to
make their own memorials. There's an NPC who makes memorial
headstones, engraved with whatever eulogy you want, and places them
in the deceased player's hometown, for $40K. (Not an out-of-reach
sum, but prohibitive enough to keep spam down.)

Lastly, some guilds choose to pay for installing new NPCs in their
halls that replicate a beloved ex-member (set to no_attack to avoid
constantly being killed for fun). A few guilds have custom-coded
museums, with plaques describing the dead members, artifacts they
carried, etc.

culfinglin | power of administration & QC