[MUD-Dev] Cans of Achievements and Quests

damon baker candyfilleddeathgod at yahoo.com
Fri Sep 6 04:11:28 CEST 2002

--- Rayzam <rayzam at travellingbard.com> wrote:

> If the players can come back from death, and the players can come
> and go from the game, why can't the monsters and quests?

> It's just a thematic push, but on Retromud, Armagg-odhin destroys
> the world every day, and it is created anew. Just fiction, but it
> explains why quests reset. I don't see an inherent reason why that
> isn't as good a concept as the reality overrides via stellae from
> Torg, or how Neo and friends can have special powers in The
> Matrix.

I personally like solutions that work what would have been a
technical problem in as part of the story. Instead of it being an
obvious out of game mechanism that breaks the suspension of
disbelief and says "look, it's all just some dumb game, ok, deal
with it" you now have something that adds to the game world, makes
the world more internally consistent. A lot of games have game
worlds that their mechanics are thoroughly not suited for, if
designers will try to make the game world and the mechanics meet
half way I think an altogether more immersive (and fun) experience
will be had by the player. I personally think that the
fantasy/tolkien-esque sort of worlds that are so popular these days
are particularly ill-suited to current technologies, so that while
we are all codeing our hearts out trying to improve the technology,
we should also be looking at how to improve/change the
stories/settings/characters to match with what we already
have. Anyone know of any other examples of necessary evils
(resetting quests) being turned into useful additions to the over
all game world (world being destroyed/created daily by an in game
god)?

Damon Baker