[MUD-Dev] Much Respect to JessicaM

apollyon apo11yon at hotmail.com
Sun Sep 8 03:33:23 CEST 2002

Michael Tresca:
> From Jesscia Mulligan's Biting The Hand #33: Much Water Under the
> Bridge, Much Beer Over the Dam...

>> The take-away here should be A) games arent TV or movies, B) what
>> makes you a success in one market doesnt automatically guarantee
>> success in another, and C) games are shared participatory and
>> creative experiences, not shared observational
>> entertainment. Until Hollywood truly understands point C), theyll
>> never understand how to capitalize on interactive entertainment
>> and will continue to be merely companies from which game
>> professionals occasionally license properties.

> I'll take this one step further.  The nature of MMORPGs is
> user-crafted content.  In all media.  ALL MEDIA.

> No more traditional movies.  You plop the camera in a MMORPG, buy
> the rights from the guys who participate, clean it up, and sell
> it.  That's your next movie.  Virtual actors have already removed
> the need for storyboarders since you're filming the action in real
> time and can tweak the characters' actions later. Less and less
> traditional film roles are necessary.

This is happening already with DAoC, and likely others as well.
Take a look at some of the work Aladora has done:

  http://camelot.stratics.com/movies/Aladora.shtml

My personal favorite is

"For Albion" because of its adaptation of traditional movie themes
directly into a MMOvie.  A few scenes are clearly scripted and many
of the scenes are just as clearly not; it makes for a nice blend.
The picture quality is one of the greatest drawbacks, but I don't
figure that will be an obstacle for long.

She was recently asked by the AC2 developers to enter into beta in
order to begin filming such movies for promotional purposes.  Expect
to see much more of this in the future.

apollyon

- Mahatma Gandhi