[MUD-Dev] Much Respect to JessicaM

Daniel.Harman at barclayscapital.com Daniel.Harman at barclayscapital.com
Mon Sep 9 09:55:53 CEST 2002

From: Michael Tresca [mailto:talien at toast.net]

> I'll take this one step further.  The nature of MMORPGs is
> user-crafted content.  In all media.  ALL MEDIA.

> No more traditional movies.  You plop the camera in a MMORPG, buy
> the rights from the guys who participate, clean it up, and sell
> it. That's your next movie.  Virtual actors have already removed
> the need for storyboarders since you're filming the action in real
> time and can tweak the characters' actions later. Less and less
> traditional film roles are necessary.

> No more traditional TV.  Just plop the camera into a Soap MMORPG
> (it's coming, I'm sure).  Watch it for an hour.  Gee, kind of like
> Big Brother.

Sure... and tv will kill radio, and video will kill the cinema.

I would also take this opportunity to remind you how well received
Mr Lucas's forays in this direction have gone - JaJa Binks anyone?
Perhaps Lucas is unique, but the more he has become enabled by
techonology, the worse his movies have become. Constraints seemed to
bring out the best in him.

Anyway, I honestly believe that actors do considerably more than
just stand there reciting lines. However pretty we can get the real
time graphics, interfacing with a control system that would allow
proper facial expressiveness for instance, doesn't seem that likely
anytime soon.  Espcially when you consider all the subtle aspects of
a performance, the intangibles that separate a poor or moderate
performance from an amazing one. Translate that to a PC?

Final Fantasy the movie was chock-full of state of the art CGI. It
was roundly criticised for the wooden performance of the 'actors'
and a plot better suited to a computer game. I feel there are
parallels that can be drawn between this and what you are proposing.

Perhaps with the mud-hammer, everything is looking like a nail?

Dan