[MUD-Dev] The importance of graphics

Koster Koster
Sat Sep 14 05:24:32 CEST 2002

From: Marc Bowden
> --On Thursday, September 12, 2002 6:57 PM +0000 Matt Mihaly
> <the_logos at achaea.com> wrote:

>>> IMhO: very. especially if it's text based, I think in the sea
>>> that text can become, it's critical to punctuate it properly.

>> Graphics are unimportant in text.

> I believe the broader point is that some graphics are necessary to
> attract the larger market of guests who don't have the imagination
> to get by on the text, or who hate to "read too much".

Based on the word "punctuate" I think that the point was also that
presentation, color coordination, and other things that certainly
can be done with text are important to how even a text environment
is perceived.  Certainly we've all seen muds with garish default
colors, bad punctuation, incosnsistently capitalized text
(particularly as relates to tokenized strings), and so on. I
wouldn't call that graphics per se, but it does relate to
presentation and how players will perceive your game.

-Raph