[MUD-Dev] The importance of graphics

Marc Bowden ryumo at merit.edu
Wed Sep 18 09:39:48 CEST 2002

--On Tuesday, September 17, 2002 12:10 PM +0200 VdA
<koen_vda at pandora.be> wrote:
> From: "Koster, Raph" <rkoster at soe.sony.com>
>> From: Marc Bowden

>> Based on the word "punctuate" I think that the point was also
>> that presentation, color coordination, and other things that
>> certainly can be done with text are important to how even a text
>> environment is perceived.  Certainly we've all seen muds with
>> garish default colors, bad punctuation, incosnsistently
>> capitalized text

> maybe you can add "bad spelling" :)>

Among other things, I lump this under "not caring". Most MUDs put up
now are ROM-class (easy assembly, pre-written modular additions, no
real skill required for the basics) put up by some American kid
who's bored in school and 3-4 of his buddies. Yeah, they fall apart
(on our timescale) relatively quickly due to the volatility of both
the "staff" makeup and their target audience, but while they're
there, nobody cares. Nobody has to. And pointing out that they can't
spell or create a sentence in their native language takes a left
turn from their ears to their brain and ends up in that little rage
center, so they nuke you, or whatever the local term is. They
haven't been taught - they CAN'T be taught, or it might hurt their
precious self-esteem and mommy will sue - and they've never been
told they're wrong. They have no idea how to handle it. So they nuke
you and go on, because they're 3l33t d00dz, and r0x0r, or some
nonsense, until the thing collapses.

Bad spelling, bad grammar, bad area structure, bad "best practices",
it all pretty much works out to a low barrier to entry not requiring
that new "aminid00dz" learn the basics of their craft. And making
the entire pile look like a waste as a result.

Advance appologies to Raph and one other guy, who I promised I'd try
not to shoot off in this direction too often. ;)

--
Marc Bowden - Soulsinger         Dreamshadow:The Legacy of the Three
  ryumo at merit.edu                                   209.48.36.2 3333