[MUD-Dev] UO Advanced Character Service

Jessica Mulligan jessica at mm3d.com
Thu Sep 19 07:51:17 CEST 2002

At 12:05 AM 9/19/2002 -0700, "Christopher Allen"
<ChristopherA at skotos.net> wrote:

> Ultima Online, for their 5th anniversary is offering some new
> 'powerup' services:

>   http://www.uo.com/uopowerup.html

> but I thought the Advanced Character Service itself the most
> interesting one:

>   http://support.uo.com/namechange.html

> This is something that we've been considering at Skotos for some
> time, a "gift of fate" for starting characters, as we are unable
> to do what Achaea does with our current base of customers, for
> 'selling' advancement they would not approve of. But a "gift of
> fate" would be tolerated and it would allow us to increase
> revenues.

The problem with is in mixing these characters with the general
population, which is apparently the case here. It completely
devalues the player experience and runs the great risk of creating
an 'insta-griefer' and 'insta-power mule' service.  That may sound
odd coming from me, who has often decried treadmilling in games, but
there you are.

This would have worked much better as one feature among several on a
premium-priced shard, segregated from the 'normal' population to
make it special and to limit the potential deleterious effects.

Or, as Dennis Miller says, that's just my opinion; I could be wrong.

-Jessica