[MUD-Dev] Re: MUD-Dev Storytelling in MMOGs article

Poe Poe
Fri Sep 20 15:49:58 CEST 2002

Jessica Mulligan wrote:

> He seems to fall into the common trap of many inexperienced MMP
> designers; he seems to feel he has to ram a story down the
> player's throat by providing a beginning, middle and end.  In
> other words, the designer as controller and the player as
> follower.

What exactly constitutes being an experienced Massive Multiplayer
designer?

The genre has not been around that long, and very few designers have
actually worked on a successful Massively multiplayer game. Some
people like being force fed a story, some don't (myself included)
But I still think it's too early to tell what the mass market
wants/will be happy with.

> That doesn't work very well in these games, certainly not as well
> as empowering the players to create their own content.

I've yet to see player generated content work in a commercially
successful MMO, yet I always hear people refer to it as the holy
grail. What am I missing here? I'm not saying that empowering the
players to create their own content isn't a good thing. I just feel
that it is currently an unknown and far from being the be all end
all of MMO's

Lawrence