[MUD-Dev] Re: MUD-Dev Storytelling in MMOGs article

Dave Rickey daver at mythicentertainment.com
Mon Sep 23 10:55:00 CEST 2002

From: "Poe, Lawrence" <lpoe at soe.sony.com>
> Jessica Mulligan wrote:

>> That doesn't work very well in these games, certainly not as well
>> as empowering the players to create their own content.

> I've yet to see player generated content work in a commercially
> successful MMO, yet I always hear people refer to it as the holy
> grail. What am I missing here? I'm not saying that empowering the
> players to create their own content isn't a good thing. I just
> feel that it is currently an unknown and far from being the be all
> end all of MMO's

Judged by the standards of single-player games, all MMO's suck.  It
is the presence of other people that makes them hold onto people for
months and even years, in some not-well-understood way, it is the
players that make the game.  Players *are* the content, everything
else is background scenery.

--Dave