[MUD-Dev] Player Created Content - The Holy Grail?

Sulka Haro sulka at sulake.com
Mon Sep 23 13:25:54 CEST 2002

Hi!

Thought I'd drop in a note.

We just launched a new form of player created content in Kultakala
(http://www.kultakala.com/), the Finnish version of Habbo Hotel
(http://www.habbohotel.com/). For those of you who don't know, Habbo
is a kind of a graphic MUD with almost purely social setting,
there's almost no gaming as such happening. You can create your own
room in Habbo and the purchase furniture to decorate the room.

What we did is adding a camera to the service. You can buy the
camera itself which comes with a couple pieces of film for taking
pictures. More film is available at a modest price.

The camera allows users to take small screenshots which are
automatically toned into sepia colors.  You can then type in short
description of what the photo is about and put it into the wall of
your room for everyone to see.

Believe or not, it's wildly successful. There's already tons of
"memoirs" rooms full of pictures and people love the idea of
creating their own collections of what's been happening. We're even
getting praise for how realistic the thing is for people having to
purchase the film. ;)

So, it seems for us the player created content is working out really
well - in fact better than anything else this far.

As a curiosity, we didn't find any game or graphic mud that'd let
the users do this before. Does anyone know if this is a first?

sulka