[MUD-Dev] Emoticons: When was the "big bang?"

Darren Henderson darren at nighttide.net
Tue Sep 24 09:53:23 CEST 2002

On Mon, 23 Sep 2002, Randolf Richardson wrote:

> Does anyone know when the first emoticon was used?  I'm trying to
> figure out when they were first invented, and figured that if
> anyone knew about it that they'd probably be here in MUD-DEV.
> \__/

> The following article discusses it, but I'm hoping for something
> even earlier.

See

  http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=02/09/18/0051255&mode=thread&tid=167

Next to last topic in the article.

In the early 90's I spent a lot of time on BIX (Byte Information
Exchange) and there was a woman (I believe, don't recall the name)
who claimed to have invented them. I don't know that I ever bought
it but others seemed too. Were also called "bixies" there I think -
were dozens of them.

The slashdot article points to references that place it back as far
as 1953.

Just like with sex apparently, every generation believes its
discovering new territory.