[MUD-Dev] Re: MUD-Dev Storytelling in MMOGs article

Matt Mihaly the_logos at achaea.com
Thu Sep 26 02:57:11 CEST 2002

On Wed, 25 Sep 2002, Mathieu Castelli wrote:

> Funny. For me that book [Diamond Age] is the best asset for the
> "learning with games" case.  All three girls who get the primer
> turn out to be fanstastically brilliant.  And more than that, non
> fail: apart from Nel (your successful one ?) one let her dreamy
> part get the the better of her to become an artist, and the other
> (the original girl the primer was designed for, the one of noble
> heritage) joined the Drummer no ? (Damn my memory.)

I don't think behavior in a fictional book is evidence of anything
but the worldview of the writer. How the girls turned out has
nothing to do with what the effectiveness of a tool would be in the
physical world, as the characters turned out like that because of
the author's decisions, not because of any cause-and-effect with the
primer.

--matt