[MUD-Dev] Future of MMOGs

Valerio Santinelli tanis at mediacom.it
Sun Sep 29 13:33:53 CEST 2002

Today I received the usual weekly e-mail from GameSpy.. this time
GameSpy's editor (Fargo) has written something interesting regarding
an article published in October of 1999 about the future of
videogames. He goes about how people got the right predictions or
failed. There's also a paragraph about MMOGs. Here's the snip.

---GameSpy.com---
  Item 5: Massively Multiplayer Gaming "[Massive multiplayer games]
  aren't really interesting right now because the current offerings
  (Ultima Online, EverQuest) are closed proprietary systems, but
  it's inevitable that these games will move to open, modifyable,
  community-driven platforms." -Tim Sweeney

  Fargo's Verdict: It's been a long time coming. When Ultima Online
  came out it was in many ways ahead of its time, much to its own
  detriment: the economy was an absolute mess. The next wave of
  games, such as EverQuest, took a step back and instead focused on
  a simpler system, one of just combat and exploration. Most games
  that came out shortly thereafter followed similar
  models. Gradually we're starting to see the return of things like
  player-housing, but truly player-generated content isn't available
  even now, three years later!

  But things are changing fast. Neverwinter Nights may not be
  massively multiplayer, but you can certainly go online to play
  through hundreds of player-created adventures. And possibly the
  biggest massively multiplayer game of them all is on the horizon:
  The Sims Online will be released before the end of the year, and
  it's a world that's entirely player-created. I suspect it'll
  fulfill Sweeney's prophecy and change the way we look at massively
  multiplayer in the process.
---GameSpy.com---

--
c'ya!