[MUD-Dev] D&D vs. MMORPG "complexity"

Matt Mihaly the_logos at achaea.com
Tue Apr 8 18:42:38 CEST 2003

Ryan Dancy wrote:

> In fact, having played most of the current MMORPG offerings, I'm
> tempted to say that the MUD-Dev community has a long, long way to
> go before the complexity of the games offered on-line begins to
> match up to the complexity of most popular tabletop RPG systems.
> Sure, those systems usually don't bother with a real-world
> physical model, and while I have an understanding of the coding
> complexities required to achieve those effects I consider them at
> best windowdressing on top of what amount to very, very simple
> games.

D&D has a lot of breadth and some depth in a very limited part of
gameplay: looting and leveling. It doesn't even begin to approach
the overall complexity of muds (or mmogs or whatever you want to
call them) in that it pretty much only deals with bashing
monsters. There are no formal politics, no formal economic systems
and you only have to deal with a handful of people at a time. There
is very little complexity beyond the bashing in D&D.

--matt