[MUD-Dev] D&D vs. MMORPG "complexity"

Zach Collins {Siege} zcollins at seidata.com
Sat Apr 12 06:10:10 CEST 2003

On Wed, 9 Apr 2003, Matt Mihaly wrote:

> Fair enough. I'm not familiar with those at all. I have a lot of
> D&D source material (granted, it's all 1st or 2nd edition AD&D)
> though and at least judging by that I am wholly unimpressed by its
> ability to deal with group vs. group interaction, particularly
> competitive group vs. group interaction.

AD&D does not appear to have been meant for group-to-group
interaction in the first place.  However, why not try LARP rules?
There is still the need for live GMs, but five people can run a game
of as many as thirty players.  A few more assistant GMs, and games
can have over a hundred people playing.  Even for smaller LARPs, the
politics can get intense, especially for a system designed to
encourage it.

Looking at a Living City campaign and saying that D&D has complex
economics is a flawed viewpoint.  Rather, the setting, players, and
data have combined to create some complex economics and politics
which are not supported by the written rules of the game.  This is
like having a combat MUD where the players are more into trading and
social conflict.

--
Zach Collins