[MUD-Dev] D&D vs. MMORPG "complexity"

Paul Schwanz pschwanz at comcast.net
Wed Apr 16 01:51:42 CEST 2003

Lee Sheldon wrote:
> From: Vincent Archer

>> On the Venril Sathir (UK-based) server, there's currently a 3-way
>> infighting going on between the top 3 guilds.

>> So, as you can see, political maneuvering is alive and well in
>> Everquest :)

> I'm just curious if you see this as a plus.  The fighting over
> mobs instead of fighting mobs is one of the reasons I left EQ. :)

In what way are mobs even monsters if you "farm" them?  Seems to me
mobs are functioning more like corn and the guilds are fighting over
something like a cornfield.  If players really want to farm, why not
give them cornfields.  Then monsters can start to make sense again
as the creatures that ruin cornfields, attack you on the way to the
market, or otherwise interfere with your ability to farm corn. ;)

--Phin