[MUD-Dev] New to MUD Dev, need friendly advice!

Lance Rotten linux at rottenlittlekids.com
Wed Apr 16 15:04:15 CEST 2003

Hello,

I have been programming for about 5 years now, and have a good
understanding of the way things work. I have also began my venture
in C about 6 months ago, and I understand it very
clearly. Bassically, I would like to try and develop a MUD engine
from scratch. I have several questions regarding this before I can
even began though. If you can answer any or all of them, I would
greatly appreciate it!

  1. Connections - What is the best method for accepting multiple
  connections? Ive heard individual threads are an awful idea, and
  that thread pools are a better idea. But I know there must be a
  much better way to do this. Say I want to have 1000 people
  connected at once ( I know this isnt likely to happen, but im
  building this to gain knowledge and experience), what would be the
  best method to handle that many connections via sockets?

  2. Any advice for someone completely new to building a MUD Engine
  would be great. Good tutorials, groups etc. I am using this as a
  vehicle to upgrade my programming skills, so even the most basic
  tutorials are great. I cant seem to find one good one that
  encapsulates everything involved.

Thanks again for any advice, I really appreciate it.