[MUD-Dev] D&D vs. MMORPG "complexity"

Daniel.Harman at barclayscapital.com Daniel.Harman at barclayscapital.com
Thu Apr 17 12:56:38 CEST 2003

From: lynx at lynx.purrsia.com [mailto:lynx at lynx.purrsia.com]

> Consider this scenario: you develop a game with a complicated
> political system.  Player A comes in and goes 'Wow, this is great,
> I want to be top of the heap!'  Players B, C, and D come in and
> say 'I don't want to be involved with this, this game has
> complicated crafting/combat system that I do want to be involved
> in, but I don't want politics to get in my way.'

> Do you force players B, C, and D to participate in the political
> system so that player A can have players to rule?

No, but you give B,C & D a compelling reason to opt into a political
group by awarding that group abilities and bonuses relative to that
groups achievement. It may mean that a politician has a pledged
constituancy with very little interest in the political sub-game,
but will pledge loyalty to him in order to receive these bonuses.

The leader is then motivated to ensure that these bonuses are
achieved and maintained to keep his support base, which is what
gives him power.

These seems a pretty good parallel to the real world where people
are largely disinterested in politics, but have some interest in
what they are promised by said politicians.

Dan