[MUD-Dev] D&D vs. MMORPG "complexity"

Damion Schubert damion at zenofdesign.com
Fri Apr 18 00:19:18 CEST 2003

From: Harrok

> If we take third edition RuneQuest as an example, it's possible
> for the humblest of green-conned monsters to take out a character
> under the right circumstances -- a couple of 01s on d100 would do
> the trick most of the time. There would be an outcry on the
> EQ/DaOC message boards if farming blues actually carried that
> element of risk.

We have single-hit death bugs in our commercial MMPs.  We call these
'bugs', and we fix them before our player-base quits.

I've often heard of RQ's incredibly complex crit hit system as a
good example of complexity, for this very reason.  If I wanted to
defend complexity, I wouldn't start with a system that generated a
guarunteed customer service call one time in ten thousand combat
rounds.