[MUD-Dev] D&D vs. MMORPG "complexity"

Baar - Lord of the Seven Suns baar at imperian.com
Mon Apr 21 02:24:48 CEST 2003

On Thu, 17 Apr 2003, Matt Mihaly wrote:

> They rule the players who do want to join a political system. In
> our case, that's most players. I have no way of knowing if that's
> because most people really do want to be part of a political
> community or, more likely, because the sort of person who does is
> more likely to stick around and play our games.

In the case of these games it can likely be attributed a great deal
to that community aspect. Those who leave the city and guild type
organizations tend to return rather quickly as they lose the ability
to talk to others on these channels. If we liken it to IRC, if you
have no channels to speak on then you will only communicate with a
few people and eventually shut it down and move to another way of
communicating with people. Although running the treadmills, be the
harvesting herbs bashing mobs or anything else is a way to advance
there is also the need to communicate with others while regenning
energy to get back on the treadmill. There are political
organizations that try to quash the politics within them, but that
is in and of itself a political act.

--David