[MUD-Dev] D&D vs. MMORPG "complexity"

Harrok harrok at austarmetro.com.au
Mon Apr 21 15:46:35 CEST 2003

Damion said:

> I've often heard of RQ's incredibly complex crit hit system as a
> good example of complexity, for this very reason.  If I wanted to
> defend complexity, I wouldn't start with a system that generated a
> guarunteed customer service call one time in ten thousand combat
> rounds.

And that's my point, which perhaps wasn't as well expressed as it
could have been. There's no point adding additional complexity to a
combat system unless it actually makes an observable difference to
the experience and outcome of combat. Otherwise, you may as well use
the simplest set of rules that produces the same result.

Bill