[MUD-Dev] D&D vs. MMORPG "complexity"

Alex Kay yak at iinet.net.au
Wed Apr 23 18:01:17 CEST 2003

On Sun, 20 Apr 2003 22:00:05 -0400, Paul Schwanz wrote:
>Damion Schubert wrote:

>> Meanwhile, I haven't seen many very interesting carrot pulling
>> simulations yet, although perhaps I'm just playing the wrong
>> MUDs.

> Maybe you are.  You should try out ATITD. ;)

> Of course, my personal opinion is that something like ATITD could
> benefit greatly from monsters.  Monsters *are* fun, but I think
> they are more fun when they are set up as obstacles and not as
> goals.  That was my point.

And I think that's a key point you have there, one that's too often
overlooked or ignored it seems.

That's why I find doing quests much more entertaining than killing
indiscriminately for no better reason than I need to, to advance.
Currently, the general reward for a quest is a new item, but why not
a skill or ability? I'd much rather do away with levels/exp and use
quests to unlock new avenues for my character. Unsurprisingly this
is how a lot of good, compelling single player console games work...