[MUD-Dev] New to MUD Dev, need friendly advice!

Sean Kelly sean at ffwd.cx
Tue Apr 29 12:18:10 CEST 2003

On Mon, 28 Apr 2003, Norman Morse wrote:

> Having recently done some investigation of scalable socket based
> servers, I suggest that you check out /dev/epoll (available in
> recent linux's) or /dev/poll in solaris.

That's it... epoll.  I knew it was an efficient variation of poll
but couldn't recall the term.  From my understanding, this is the
performance equivalent of completion ports in Linux.  Should be far
more scalable than any other socket tech on the same platform.
Solaris has poll, and I think BSD has two options, but I'm blanking
on their names as well.

> These are actually operating system drivers which are intended to
> replace the posix select() mechanism with something more scalable.

Yup.  Should scale quite well into the thousands-of-connections
range per process, without any sacrifice for the few-connections
range.

Sean