[MUD-Dev] D&D vs. MMORPG "complexity"

Daniel Anderson melinko at insight.rr.com
Tue Apr 29 16:18:34 CEST 2003

From: Dave Rickey:
> From: Daniel Anderson:

>> I wouldn't say it's a broken economy, they are just determing the
>> value of a rare "resource".  Exclusive control of source in a MMO
>> leads to that source being taken over.  It's next to impossible
>> to keep any type of monopoly-- even a geographic monopoly in a
>> MMO.

> It's not a resource.  It has absolutely no redeeming or useful
> qualities, the very reason it is the rarest of the rares was that
> it was so undesirable that few bothered to collect it while it was
> possible.  The only reason to *buy* it is to demonstrate that you
> can.

This happens in the real world with items such as diamonds or works
of art, and it's referred to as the paradox of value.  People create
a demand for items that have a low utility simply because they want
to be one of the few who own it-- if not the ONLY person who owns
it.  There will always be people in both the real world and in MMO
games who will spend their money on items that do little, but they
get to show off or impress others with.  This is more commonly known
as "conspicuous consumption" by economists.

-Daniel