[MUD-Dev] Who Killed Miss Norway?

F. Randall Farmer randy.farmer at pobox.com
Wed Apr 30 10:24:54 CEST 2003

Stories like this are commonplace in my experience.

Every major service I've worked with has had at least one well-known
fatal-disease related- or accidental- RL death followed by an
in-world memorial, sometimes including in-world operator created
changes, followed (often months later) by discovery that the person
in question didn't die at all.

Each of these cases was someone simply trying to find a
non-reversible way to leave a group of people they'd formed complex
personal relationships with without saying "I have to quit." For
some, the draw of these communities is so strong that 'cold turkey'
is the only way to quit and the only way to force themselves to do
it is to stage their own 'real-world' death.

Randy