[MUD-Dev] New to MUD Dev, need friendly advice!

Mike Shaver shaver at off.net
Wed Apr 30 10:54:33 CEST 2003

On Apr 29, Sean Kelly wrote:

> That's it... epoll.  I knew it was an efficient variation of poll
> but couldn't recall the term.  From my understanding, this is the
> performance equivalent of completion ports in Linux.

The other completion-port-alike is the SIGIO stuff, especially since
you can deal with it in a polled mode.

http://www.citi.umich.edu/techreports/reports/citi-tr-00-4.pdf has
lots and lots on epoll vs. SIGIO.

> > These are actually operating system drivers which are intended
> to > replace the posix select() mechanism with something more
> scalable.

Take care, though: simply using sys_epoll as a drop-in replacement
for select(2) or poll(2) is race-prone.

http://www.ussg.iu.edu/hypermail/linux/kernel/0210.3/1520.html has
more details.

Mike