[MUD-Dev] Identifying Players

Scion Altera scion at divineright.org
Sat Aug 2 23:19:11 CEST 2003

Thursday, July 31, 2003, 3:20:45 AM, you wrote:

> A scheme to identify players and generally restrict the control of
> a player's character to a single person.

*snip PGP-esque authentication scheme*

> Dunno if this helps anyone in the MMOG field, but I'm leaving it
> in my toolset until someone tells me it's fundamentally
> flawed. ;-)

How is this any better for identifying unique humans than a regular
password scheme?

  1) User H creates character P with password K on game G.

  2) When user H attempts to play as P, G asks for K.

  3) Assuming H hasn't shared K with anyone, H and G are the only
  ones who know K.

Requiring the user to decrypt a random number using their private
key adds a small amount of added security because the private key is
never transmitted to the game. The random number is in effect a
single use temporary password. However, if the user shares the
private key with a friend, they can both still use the character so
long as they don't attempt it simultaneously. This does not achieve
the original goal of ensuring that there is only one user per
character.

-- Scion

           --     scion at divineright.org    --
-- ICQ: 1824934 -- AIM: ScionAltera -- MSN: ScionAltera --
     -- http://www.divineright.org/~scion/meme.html --