[MUD-Dev] Crunch time

Damion Schubert ubiq at zenofdesign.com
Tue Aug 5 18:02:35 CEST 2003

From: Derek Licciardi
> From: Amanda Walker
>> On Thursday, July 31, 2003, at 10:28  PM, ceo wrote:

> I believe that large sub-system specifications that are not yet
> implemented have no business being implemented in crunch time.  If
> you feel you're getting to a crunch point and your combat system
> or player housing system is not yet in the game, you should
> consider delaying the game or leaving the sub system out.

I know of many programmers who would disagree - and I'm one of them
(when I code).  I do a much better job at implementation if I do it
in large crunchy bursts, and off-hours work is usually better for
the really big system coding or design since you're less likely to
be interrupted (meetings are rarely planned for crunch hours).

I grant that not everyone is biologically set up to work like that.
Maybe it's related to the fact that my most creative times are at
night.

That being said, large subsystems shouldn't be done without enough
QA time to test them, but that's another story altogether.

--d